Monday, May 10, 2010

Magnificent Master

It was a big weekend for our master bedroom. First, Jerry and I tried our hand as electricians and decided to replace the fan.

Here it is before. Jealous? In addition to the intricate bronze details, fluted glass, several light bulbs that are out this thing is extremely un-level and could rouse the dead in the middle of the night, much less a light sleeper like me. Unfortunately, the upstairs of our home gets very warm since hot air rises and all that, so Jerry has not enjoyed waking up in a sweat because I shut the fan off in the middle of the night to enjoy a few hours of silence.

Here is the new fan. It is more contemporary and matches the style of our new bedroom set nicely. Also, we were equally impressed with our ability to install it without electrocuting ourselves or burning the house down. It only took one call to our "life line" (aka my father, thanks Dad!) and several consults with the Internet. Since the fan isn't hooked up to a light switch, we also installed a remote control to avoid having to pull the cords every time we want it on, off, or adjusted in any way. Jerry thinks he gets to keep the remote on his night stand... but if this sucker starts making noises in the middle of the night, he is sorely mistaken.

In other bedroom news, our bed was finally delivered. We really love it. Please excuse it's towering height, I think I might need a ladder just to get in, but since we don't have a linen closet upstairs, we had drawers installed underneath. There are two drawers on each side, and of course, photo genius that I am, I forgot to take pictures of them, but trust me, they are there and they are very useful for storing spare sheets and towels.

Here's the rest of the set, a chest for me on the left (please note that it is larger than Jerry's :)) and a media chest on the right for Jerry and all of our electronic needs. Yes, our TV is ridiculous, but for various reasons that are too boring to get into here, this is the only room that it worked in. Plus, now we have an extremely comfortable media room. My main issue with it is that it shines like the sun and tends to wake me in the middle of the night. Since Jerry is usually sleeping by then, I have to try to climb over him, find the remote control, which is at least illuminated by the solar glare going on, and turn it off, all while not waking him up. Luckily, we got a tempurpedic style mattress which makes it so he doesn't feel it when I move around in bed. Needless to say, I have a tough life.

After the dog had a few near death experiences jumping on and off the bed, we added this ottoman to the bottom as a launch pad for him. It's something we had in the condo and is in kind of rough shape, but for the time being, it's better than a dog with a broken leg, or worse. We'll replace it with something that is a little more to scale in the future.

Here he is, testing it out and scowling at me. "Mom, I'm not ready for my close up, I haven't even brushed my hair!" He is still in the process of learning to use it to get in and out of the bed. He takes advantage of it about 50% of the time, and practices his vertical jump and death defying skills for the rest.

The contractor is here installing the rest of the cabinets as I type this. If I'm up to it and can remember to charge the battery on my camera, I'll do another post tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment